Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Can I get through the MOT like this?

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 26th September 2011 Thread Starter
Inveterate Bodger
Nominated 0 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: Can I get through the MOT like this?

Originally Posted by greenside View Post

The exhaust is the only problem as far as I can see from the MOT perspective.

Hmm... assuming you're experienced in some matters, then... thanks! And Rolty also.

The edge of the weird dent that's formed on the rear wing could maybe count as a sharp bit, but I can probably blunt that off myself with the ol' hammer + block. Dunno whether I can personally do much with the exhaust, particularly as I'm confused as to how the back of the silencer no longer being supported has led to it seemingly dropping LOWER (maybe the tailpipe was originally partly hidden behind the bumper, rather than sticking out from it, so it's been dragged downwards thereby snapping the hanger?), but thus far any repairs I've had done which involved re-securing the down/mid/tailpipes have been pretty cheap; just a fiver in the case of a major suspension rubber having perished on my VW such that the whole system was dragging on the ground!

What I'm bothered about now, then, I suppose, is the wheel alignment (I can't see any reason it would have changed, but who knows; car ran true and not significantly louder than usual all the way into triple digits, however, which is certainly not my experience in previous cases of knackered tracking), and whether the potential chassis bending (split underseal) and gap in the bonnet seal would give cause for concern. I'm already considering supergluing some pipe lagging foam around that area to make it airtight once again because of the fumey smell that develops after 30-40 miles.

Oh, that and the creaky handbrake!

Suppose then it might be worth either a pre-test check (if one can be done cheapish), or just booking it in for the earliest possible date and seeing what the report is, given that it's not looking like certain failure. That'll still give me a month to replace it if there's irrepairable damage.
Currently in tahrey's garage:
Honda CG125, Scott Voltage MX5, dirt, lots of random bottles and tools, porktastic Clio III DCi, dodgy shelves...
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome