Thread: Rattle
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 6th October 2011
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,852 Posts
Re: Rattle

The major difficulty in tracing noises in car-derived-vans, is that they are, effectively, hollowed-out drums. Any noise is magnified, due to lack of sound insulation, or a seperate cabin area.

The real first stage of this will have to be attempting to locate whether the sound originates from inside or outside the car, the sencond stage is tracing the part itself.

Forum members can play 'guess the problem', and you can spend many hundred of pounds swapping these parts over/getting things tightened-up, until you find the offending item.

Fundamentally, it can either be due to something wearing (creating more movement than it should), or an item which has become loose, over time. The fact tha car will have been adapted (so will have items cut & modified, in addition to extra items fitted) will only complicate the situation, by increasing the potential source of these items which can generate noise.

A road test, as such will be the first phase, in my opinion.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome