Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Poor Radio Performance*fixed*

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 10th October 2011
fireball scenic
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Scenic - Poor Radio Performance*fixed*

Hi There, Eventually got this fixed after changing the aerial base, cable and head unit (doh.....) It turned out to be the antenna itself. Half way up the mast there was a tiny little indentation and a bit of the outer plastic coating was chipped off. After discovering that a 12" piece of wire placed in the aerial base gave amazing reception I had decided this had to be the cause. Cutting back the outer plastic revealed that the copper track that spirals around the outside of the fibreglass mast had completely corroded away. I assume at some point that this must have hit a car park barrier or something at that height and water had got inside the mast and rotted it away. 12.99 from the local dealer and for the first time ever we can get all FM stations including some of the weaker ones. Expensive lesson learned by my mistake in thinking the problem was inside the car!! Renault senior tech said to get a cheap antenna (5) from Halfords and plug it in - if the problem goes away then it is definitely aerial related that is where I decided it was not the head unit anymore and set about working it out once and for all.

Job done.

When they said "Heated Mirrors" ................
Currently in fireball scenic's garage:
2006 Grand Scenic II DCi130 Dynamique
The Following User Says Thank You to fireball scenic For This Useful Post:
IT66 (11th October 2011)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome