Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What's the scariest car failure you've had while driving?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 15th October 2011 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
What's the scariest car failure you've had while driving?

I ask because I experienced a real doozie some years back, and it's affected me ever since lol.

My very first car in 1988 was an auto 1978 Cortina 2.0 Ghia Estate, metallic Apollo Green with a black vinyl roof It was already 10 years old when I bought it and had 100,000 on the clock, but it always started, never caused problems and went like a rocket...... until one day ....

I was parking up outside the house here when suddenly the car shuddered, moved to the left and then wouldn't go forward or back - I was half in the parking space and half out.
I got out of the car to see ... with horror - that the front passenger side wheel was not attached to the car anymore but was laying on it's side against the kerb!!!

My husband came out, jumped into the car and somehow managed to get it into the parking bay albeit leaving a huge score through the tarmac! (which is still there)
The wishbone had broken!
My hubby did fix it - bought a second hand one from a breakers yard and the car went on for another 5 years til we scrapped it.

Why do I still break out in a cold sweat after all these years and 5 cars further down the road?
Because that wishbone could have broken at any time, even while hurtling along the road with my son in his baby seat! I dread to think what could have happened if that had been the case.
Even now.. if I hear anything strange coming from the suspension, I nag my hubby to take a look.

You could say I'm Paranoid (cue Ozzy Osbourne LOL)

I'd be interested to hear other stories of similar
'my life flashed before my eyes' moments, from other members here on the forum.

Currently in BillaBongBaby's garage:
03 CLIO 80 Billabong 1.5DCi special edition in metallic Blue or is it Green?
  5 Lastest Threads by BillaBongBaby
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Russia - Winter - SUV v Freight lorry (RIP) YouTube tonytango 2 1530 17th December 2013 04:03 PM
Possible Fuel Delivery Problem ''/ Engines Ralph 9 1802 11th December 2013 04:05 PM
''Choosing A Wife'' Jokes & funny stuff coup 1 1125 22nd January 2012 12:02 AM
''The Haircut'' Jokes & funny stuff BillaBongBaby 0 882 21st January 2012 11:37 PM
*Poem*: Walk With Me As I Age.... Jokes & funny stuff BillaBongBaby 0 2471 16th January 2012 03:43 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome