Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What's the scariest car failure you've had while driving?

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 15th October 2011
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,852 Posts
Re: What's the scariest car failure you've had while driving?

Probably the worst car one, was with a lovely car I owned for some time; a Scorpio Ultima 24v (cosworth). One night I was driving home from Glasgow, and sitting on the motorway @70, when I felt a tug from the back end of the car. Firstly, I thought I'd imagined it - then about a mile on, felt it again. The best way to describe it, is to think when you've driven through standing water, and the car lists a little, yet it was dry, and the front was tracking true. So I pulled onto the hard shoulder, and felt around the wheel for excess heat (thinking it was a binding brake) and not finding anything, checked the wheel nuts - which were all tight. I then resumed my journey (albeit at a much reduced speed), and the frequency of this pulling, increased. I got the car to my mate's the next day, and he called me to say that not only had the rear bearings completely collapsed, but that the driveshaft was completely loose, and basically not attached to the diff. I was stunned - no noises, nothing had given any warning, and if that driveshaft had come adrift on the motorway, it would most likely have sent me into the crash barrier (it was the O/S/R). No-one would have been the wiser, and it would be perceived as 'driver error'. I got a secondhand axle, and sold the car - I knew I'd lost all confidence in it.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome