Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II 1.9Dci - Engines - Hesitation Cured after EGR cleaned

View Single Post
post #218 of (permalink) Old 16th October 2011
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: EGR Valve

Originally Posted by sirgeorge View Post
Hi Gang,
My laguna 1.9 dci 2001 is sooo sluggish when trying to pull away. There is a vibrating motorbike like noise coming from behind the dash when accelerating, but not when stationary. I reckon it might me the egr valve after reading a lot of posts. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
I've recently changed the Air Mass Meter and that didn't work. It's also smoking like Bob and caning the diesel.
Where is the egr and how do you get it off and how do you clean it?
best regards
Sirgeorge; sounds like your vibrating/motorcycle noise is coming from a poorly mounted turbo control valve.
As you look into the bonnet area, rear left (beside the wheel turret) is a rubber mounted relay with two smallish hoses attached. This controls the vacuum "flow" to the actuator on the turbo itself, and hence controls the geometry of the turbo (effectively the waste gate) and when inactive, blocks the turbo function completely.
The other function that is driven from the vacuum is the shut-off butterfly (often mistaken for a throttle body , at the junction of the plastic tube and the metal inlet manifold), and this is driven shut by the vacuum only when the engine is turned off. Hence you can check your vacuum is working OK by checking this butterfly closes at engine stop; mine stays closed for about 20 seconds, before the vacuum expires (inhales?).
If the vacuum is working ok, the hoses are all in good condition and properly attached, and the solenoid is well mounted (on rubber, since it buzzes) you can check that the turbo VVT actuates by putting your hand around it with the engine running, and getting someone to press the accelerator. It should move promptly to fully activated (sucked in). (Check the action and position with the engine off and cold, since some parts do get mighty hot, mighty quickly.)
Hope this helps,
Currently in Tolak's garage:
2001 Laguna II 1.9 dCi Dynamique, 1993 Clio Williams, (1999 SLK230, now gone), 2007 A4 cabriolet
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome