Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Stone Chips and Touch up paint

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 18th October 2011
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Re: Stone Chips and Touch up paint

A good link, but an awful lot of info overload.

TBH, what I would recommend is obtaining some paint thinners, some Kurust and a paperclip.

Apply the Kurust into the chip and allow it to dry (half an hour is plenty), then apply some thinners to the bottle of paint & lacquer, then shake both vigorously. Open up one end of the paperclip (so you have a single point) and dip it into the paint, and apply into the chip, from the middle outwards - do this until the paint is fairly level and allow it to dry (I'd leave it overnight), then follow the same procedure for applying the lacquer.

Once you have applied all coats, leave it at least a week (at this time of year), before washing the car - and apply a normal car wax over the entire panel - the result may not be absolutely perfect, but you will have saved further damage, and it will be something that if done well, only you will still know where to look.

HTH, and welcome to the forums,

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VelSatisfied For This Useful Post:
bobbydog (18th October 2011), SportTourer (21st October 2011)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome