Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Engines - Turbo Diesel Engine Problems

View Single Post
post #92 of (permalink) Old 18th October 2011
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Engines - Turbo Diesel Engine Problems

Originally Posted by muddymess View Post
hi all
need some before i spend my life savings.
i have a laguna 1.9 dci
step 1 had EGR problem fixed
step 2 had a hole in my intercooler fixed
step 3 TURBO was making strange noise . so took to my local renault man. he said TURBO was just about to go 872 fitted. drove away to think about if i could afford it. drove it round for a few days then lost all power. so took it that the TURBO had gone. so got a mate to do the work for half the price. all the work has been done . but it dont sound right sounds very lumpy not very smooth and thought it would go alot better after all the work i have had done over last few months. could i of damaged the intercooler driving it around for a few days. Or could it something like the MAF. hope someone can help me out. thanks
The turbo has had such bad press, all faults are blamed on that.
But the turbo relies on correct actuation, and that relies on accurate sensors.
Sceptically, there is good money in charging for a smaller easy repair, once the customer has been scared by the big bill.

Given that all the rest runs OK, the turbo actuator requires:
1, Pressure sensor (found downstream of the intercooler, and should be removed when changing the intercooler)
2, ECU (not suspect yet; in this example, let's consider it OK)
2b, vacuum source (see below to check)
3, electro-pneumatic regulator (takes vacuum supply and modulates it to control the turbo )
4, pneumatic actuator (takes modulated vacuum and controls the turbo in the hot area, which is unsuitable for electronics)

To check the vacuum source, have the bonnet open, and engine running. Find the inlet plenum at the top back of the engine, and the shut-off butterfly (photo courtesy of Marky70)
Turn off the engine, and the vacuum pulls close the butterfly; this should stay closed for about 20 seconds.

Also, to check the vacuum actuator, when the engine is cold (you're going to fish around the exhaust area, so better cold than scalding hot), find the actuator on top of the turbo , and squeeze it. It should move, with resistance, and when released should move slowly (0.5 sec) back to closed. Either movements with a easy movement and hiss of air, would indicate the tubing is faulty.
Once you know the action, you can get someone to start the car, press the accelerator, and the actuator should move. (Remember things will get hot in this area very quickly, so take care)

And the electro-pneumatic regulator should be rubber mounted; it buzzes, and so sounds dire when it comes in contact with bodywork. It's mounted on the suspension tower for the offside front wheel, inside the engine compartment.

Happy hunting.
Currently in Tolak's garage:
2001 Laguna II 1.9 dCi Dynamique, 1993 Clio Williams, (1999 SLK230, now gone), 2007 A4 cabriolet
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome