Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What's the scariest car failure you've had while driving?

View Single Post
post #20 of (permalink) Old 18th October 2011
Re: What's the scariest car failure you've had while driving?

I got to work one day and as I slowed for a parking space realised that the car was breaking without my input.....a quick look through the wheel showed that one corner had marks on the disc and had obviously been binding... no big issue, I'll probably drive it home and fix it in the morning what can I say, I was young and stupid ...... still stupid, just not so young

A bit later I came to my senses and thought that I should at least take the wheel off and have a look at it, loosened the wheel nuts, jacked up the car, odd I can rock the front wheel top to bottom about an inch (2.54 cm to those that are too young )

I took the wheel off no hub nut, and nothing to screw one onto

Turns out that the manufacturer of the car (that will remain nameless) changed the design of the hub carrier on this car quite significantly, not at all surprising as both of mine had split through the driveshaft splines and the only thing holding the front nearside wheel on was the brake disc.

As I mentioned earlier I was young and stupid, and I may well have exceed the speed limit by a little on my way to work.....never could get up on time

Last edited by Pat.w; 18th October 2011 at 10:14 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome