Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Stone Chips and Touch up paint

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 20th October 2011
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Re: Stone Chips and Touch up paint

nps Vel.

Im not a paint expert or anything.
My last 3 new cars Ive allways looked for the "official touch up paint" in the deal.
The salesmen have usually been a bit suprised like "its a new car",you gotta think ahead tho.Ive left bonnet chips alone before and they dont self heal

Not to hijack this post .. but what Im getting is apply the basecoat thin like allways,even thin it a little with water if you need to?, then when it shrinks it should have enough height for the laquer.

I probably shoulnt have bothered with sanding down the water based base coat,it just seemed easy from the instuctions and a good idea.
The lacquer,I dont know if thats water based or not,but before if doing spot repairs a couple of small raised clear blobs never worried me .

nb water based touch up is all renault supply now ,here anyway.. to non trade folk and I have used my local "oh yeh we can make that colour up for touch up pot motor factor guy" before and it ended up bright orange from what was originally light gold a couple of months later,and yep I did shake the bottle, a lot,neighbours probably thought Id contracted a rare disease,
Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.

Last edited by coup; 20th October 2011 at 11:39 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome