Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - scenic rear brakes :(

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 24th October 2011
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: scenic rear brakes :(

Originally Posted by sparkyw666 View Post
hi guys

right this weekend i had the pleasure of doing the disks and pads all round on my 2002 scenic. front was ok to do. then i came to the back ones. both the rear calipers the pistons wouldnt go back in but after some time i got them wound back in. SO all back together and off for a test drive all seems well . i touched the rear disks to see if they was hot .the n/s one was hot but the o/s was cold compared to the n/s also the handbrake only comes up about 3 clicks then its soild. it used to come up about 5/6 clicks before

someone tell me what ive done wrong

regards mark
You knew to wind the piston back in; this has exercised the rear brakes, and so now the brakes are better adjusted than they were before, hence the 3 clicks compared with the previous 5/6 clicks.

The hot disks are from a dragging pad; a dragging pad should make the wheel hard to turn when jacked up, so you can find out which is having the effect.
If it's just the pad mounted in the caliper, then the caliper slider is sticking. If it's both, then probabaly the piston is sticking. If it's just the piston pad, then both the caliper and piston are sticking.

Sticking caliper slider; the mounting pins need to be taken out cleaned and lubed.
Sticking piston; wind it in and out a couple of times to ease and clean the seal contact area. End up with the piston fully retracted, and let the mechanism push the piston out to the correct point.

Final thing; when the wheel is turning freely, check the bearings are good.
Good luck.
Currently in Tolak's garage:
2001 Laguna II 1.9 dCi Dynamique, 1993 Clio Williams, (1999 SLK230, now gone), 2007 A4 cabriolet
The Following User Says Thank You to Tolak For This Useful Post:
sparkyw666 (24th October 2011)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome