Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Nyone Tow A Caravan With Lag 2

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 17th September 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
I've been towing with mine today - just got back about an hour ago.

All of my Lagunas (I's and II's) have sat pretty low at the rear when fully laden. I've never bothered to upgrade the springs, but here's what I've always done. Some of this will be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, I'm sure:

1) Check the caravan noseweight each and every time you tow, and adjust to achieve as close to 75Kg without going over. I'm amazed at how a seemingly identically laden 'van can achieve different noseweights each and every time. If need be, compensate for excessive noseweight by placing some heavy items slightly to the rear of the axle, but don't be tempted to put heavy stuff too far to the rear, otherwise the dreaded pendulum effect might just come along and bite you. Remember that if you have a towbar mounted cycle carrier, the weight of the bikes and carrier must be added to the caravan noseweight and the total must not exceed 75Kg.

2) If you don't have rear seat passengers, then load some heavy stuff (awning and poles etc.) into the rear passenger seat footwells. Place other heavy stuff on the back seat in preference to the boot (though this probably flies in the face of current advice on having things loose in the car that could whack you in an accident.)

3) If option 2 isn't practical, invest in a roof box and stow the heavy stuff centrally or even slightly forward of the centre line of the car. Be aware that having stuff high up will affect the car's handling, but you're not likely to be chucking it round with a tonne of trailer on the back anyway.

4) If you have to put heavy stuff in the boot, then keep it as far forward as possible. Try to keep the light items to the rear.

I still find that it sits pretty low in this configuration, but there's no sign of the tyres rubbing on the arches even on rough ground. This is with a full boot, full roofbox and the full 75Kg permissible noseweight.

I have always had the hatchbacks mind you, so the tourer might behave differently.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome