Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 1 - General Advice On Interior Water Ingress

View Single Post
post #94 of (permalink) Old 28th October 2011
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Scenic 1 - General Advice On Interior Water Ingress

Just thought I would add my 2pence.
This is on a 2002 Renault Scenic Dynamique auto. I have only had it for 3 weeks so far.

I had just completed a front brake pad change (piece of wee-wee, but then I'm used to Citroens) and thought I would check out the front scuttle drain holes. This was partly because I had found this forum when researching Scenics, but mostly because the passenger footwell carpet was wet and there were drops coming from a plastic part where the passengers toes would be.

Anyway - opened bonnet, pulled off the rubber strip at the top of the bulkhead, undid the 5 torx screws then set to work to get the wiper blades off - eventually ended up using a ball-joint puller left over from my GS(A) days to get the wiper arm loose.
After that it was easy - lift out the two halves of the scuttle cover and I could then investigate.
Sure enough there was a trace of a small pond at the bottom of the air intake on the nearside, and a lot of sludge in front of the rubber flap-thing that was covering the drain hole. The offside had a similar collection of gunk, but no pond.
I undid the suspension column covers to make a little more room, and to check for condition.
Cleaned the sludge out, then decided to take the flaps out and store in under the suspension covers, just in case I needed them in the future.
The nearside also has a plastic flap attached, which hide the flap a little - it's held on with another torx-screw and a clip.
I will find out if that's cured the leak when it rains next, but I'm hopeful.

Some points that other might find useful:
The scuttle covers need to be fitted nearside first, since the offside covers the nearside.
The scuttle covers have little pegs that slot into holes in the body work to ensure they are aligned properly - they also have clips on the underside, so the covers need to be twisted a little to get them to slot under the windscreen.
While the wiper assembly is exposed it's probably a good idea to give the joints a quick oiling. I used a spray WD40, but I reckon I should have used my little squirter with engine oil in.
After refitting the wiper arms it's a good idea to give them a test to make sure they are on tight enough :-)

Anyway, so far so good - in the next few weeks I'll be looking to do the back brakes, clear (if they are blocked that is) the sunroof drains, check the spark plugs, filters and oil - though the oil looks clear and the service record is pretty up to date, so I think it's been looked after.
No doubt I'll be keeping an eye on these fora to see what awaits me :-)

Currently in GamithUK's garage:
2002 Renault Scenic 1.6 petrol Dynamique Auto
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GamithUK For This Useful Post:
Andrel (12th July 2016), VelSatisfied (28th October 2011)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome