Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Possible repair cost for MOT pass?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 2nd November 2011 Thread Starter
Inveterate Bodger
Nominated 0 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Possible repair cost for MOT pass?

Hiya, can't really see where to put this so I've hedged it as being here :-/

To the nearest tenner or so, about how much d'yer think this may cost on a 1999, 1.6 Meg hatch?

= New "centre" exhaust pipe, or repairs to current (it went into the test bay blowing verrrrrrrry slightly, came out blowing a lot). Plus a new rear hanger for the silencer, should it be needed (old one snapped and rusted, tailpipe braces against bumper instead - which was noted on the failure certificate merely as a "slightly deteriorated" advisory).
= New front brake pads (current ones are obviously shot, but I had reasons for not changing them yet*)
= About 5x15cm or so patch welded on sill under rear right door, between that and the mount for the suspension trailing arm, where a painted-over bung has been exposed and lost (presumably when scraping over a snow-hidden kerb last year) and the hole it sat in has crumbled at the edges.

Took it for it's MOT yesterday, earliest day that I could do whilst maintaining the rollover date (i.e. not having it immediately ordered off the road). Bizarrely the thing I thought it would fail massively on - rear end shunt damage - passed with barely a mention on the advisory notes. But the above classed as fails (only expected the brakes, as an advisory!), along with a couple other minor things I can easily fix myself.

However, if the cost of fixing exceeds what I'm offered for scrap or insurance salvage, it really won't be worth doing as I'm looking to change it for something a little more compact and economical in the new year anyway, and it has practically zero resale value**

Cheers for any advice!

* I was going to change them a month or so back as they were getting noisy, but at that point they still operated strongly enough for a fool in a white van to ram me up the backside when I gently braked to avoid an ambulance ... I therefore figured it wasn't worth changing pads that still had 9+ weeks of life in them when the car itself may only live for 8...

** Random thought... Considering that I was aiming for 101k miles as the "ok, throw it away" point (as the previous major repairs would then have effectively cost 10p/mile), 200 stretches that out to 103k or so :D ... currently it's on 99... so that gives it 12 weeks instead of 6... so the replacement becomes a somewhat late, rather than dead-on-the-money 30th birthday present! Or if I can somehow eke it out until August next year (not bloody likely) that'll make a whole decade in which I've averaged 3.3 years per car, which is better than the supposed average. Not bad considering the most I paid for one was 2250, and repair costs are typically under 500 a year...
Currently in tahrey's garage:
Honda CG125, Scott Voltage MX5, dirt, lots of random bottles and tools, porktastic Clio III DCi, dodgy shelves...

Last edited by tahrey; 2nd November 2011 at 12:13 PM.
  5 Lastest Threads by tahrey
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Midlands scrapyards? General Chat hondo 3 828 28th December 2013 01:10 PM
Removing rain/light sensor, filler flap, wiper... Bodywork tahrey 2 1261 28th December 2013 01:07 PM
Clutch replacement interval? Transmissions Meganeman 5 2354 2nd September 2013 08:57 AM
Clio DCi 5 / 6 speed interchangeability? Transmissions tahrey 0 638 2nd September 2013 08:47 AM
bizarre gearbox fail, 2007 clio dci Transmissions tahrey 2 1255 20th August 2013 09:01 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome