Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Grand Scenic roof bar bolts - sizing problem!

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 4th November 2011
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Grand Scenic roof bar bolts - sizing problem!

Originally Posted by Seanieboy View Post
We have a 2005 Grand Scenic, and I recently bought a set of second hand original dealer-fitted roof bars for them. The lad I bought them from has the same model (not sure of the exact year though).

The roof bars seem to fit okay, but the bolts are giving me problems. They only go in a small bit of the way, and then the Allen key gets really tight. Eventually I gave up and just took the bolt out again, and the thread on the bolt seemed to have been damaged slightly by my efforts. The bolts look like they're the right size, but it's as if the thread on them doesn't fit with the thread on the hexagonal fix point nuts.

Any ideas? All help would be greatly appreciated.
Generically, there are two options.
Either the bolts do not match the thread on the nuts (go to a decent hardware supplier, and try bolts to get some that do fit) or the nuts have some rust in them (use a thread cutter to clean the threads, but be sure you are using the right size tap before you start!!! )
Currently in Tolak's garage:
2001 Laguna II 1.9 dCi Dynamique, 1993 Clio Williams, (1999 SLK230, now gone), 2007 A4 cabriolet
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome