Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What's the scariest car failure you've had while driving?

View Single Post
post #56 of (permalink) Old 6th November 2011
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: What's the scariest car failure you've had while driving?

Mine - and bear in mind that this covers around 30 years of driving:

After buying my first car, a Hillman Hunter, I was reversing into my parents drive when my foot slipped and I ended up creasing the bumper and boot lid on one side of the garage- not a good start :-).

Two days later I was over-taking a milk float exiting a dual-carriageway roundabout when I mis-judged the exit and ending up bouncing over the central reservation, not hitting any oncoming traffic and exited using an incredibly handy junction - luckily with no traffic on it. I stopped facing the wrong way on this junction (basically it was a slip road), got out and waited for my heart to slow down.

Carrying some friends to an event the car started to weave really badly on the motorway. Stopped and moved two mail shirts and a cannon from the boot to under the front seats sorted that one out.

Not really frightening this one - parked on the side of the road eating a snack with girlfriend (calm down!!) there was a soft 'clank' from the rear of the car. Investigation showed that the rear exhaust hanger had snapped... luckily I had a boot of tools and spares (it was a Citroen GSA after all!) so I was able to sort in out in minutes.

Going around a corner at a reasonable speed (30mph) to be faced with a stationary queue of traffic that had been caused by road works where the perpetrators had put the warning sign past the bend - idiots... luckily there was a pub car park that I overshoot into, and again luckily the opposite lane was clear.

Oh - and possibly the worst of all.. driving towards Hereford there was a roadworks warning sign - something like 3 miles later, after I had stopped looking out for roadworks, I came across the cars that was stopped at the lights they had put up. The problem was that by this point I was back to 50 and had just gone over the brow of the hill - some serious braking just got me stopped in time.

All for now :-)

Currently in GamithUK's garage:
2002 Renault Scenic 1.6 petrol Dynamique Auto
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome