Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What's the scariest car failure you've had while driving?

View Single Post
post #58 of (permalink) Old 6th November 2011
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: What's the scariest car failure you've had while driving?

Originally Posted by greenside View Post
That's the only one that could be termed Car Failure rather then Driver Error...
Sorry I thought we were looking at scary things, didn't realise it had to be the car :-)

Ok - well to be fair even though I have pretty much only driven Citroens there have been very few failures, and none particularly scary.
Even when my BX engine seized I was only about to pull into a parking bay,

Oh- just thought of one. The Hillman Hunter (bless it) had a purple wire in the boot that wasn't attached to anything disappeared towards the dashboard, I didn't think anything of it until driving along one day there was a burning smell and the car started to fill with choking smoke.
I stopped and exited the car forthwith and waited for the inevitable hollywood explosion.
After waiting for some time it became apparant that it wasn't going to happen and in fact the smoke had dissipated - my exit (taking my keys with me) stopped the impending fire.
I don't know what current was running through the purple wire, but it had welded itself to the bodywork in about a dozen places, causing the insulation to burn where it did.
After removing the wire it was all back to normal.

Currently in GamithUK's garage:
2002 Renault Scenic 1.6 petrol Dynamique Auto
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome