Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Is 250 a lot for a first service on Renault megane?

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 7th November 2011
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,852 Posts
Re: Is 250 a lot for a first service on Renault megane?

As Dave correctly states, as long as parts equal to or better quality than OEM are used by a VAT-registered garage and the service is carried out at the correct intervals - then the warranty is maintained. This was brought in circa 2002, as part of the EU-Block Exemption laws.

The only areas where this can bite you in the backside is where Renault dealers have access to recall info, and software upgrades, which the alternatives won't have. Plus, if something needs replacing under warranty - Renault will cover the entire cost at a main dealer, but they will only cover the cost of the part (not the fitting), if its an indy. In addition to these factors, should you have a part fail just outside the warranty expires - 'Goodwill Contributions' are higher if the main dealer has been used.

Renault dictate what parts need changing/inspecting and how long the service duration should be, but it is the dealer who sets their own labour rate & parts price, hence the variation, and the need to shop around.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome