Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Speed Limits & Pollution

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 19th September 2006 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I am not advocating "floor the loud pedal" and to hell with anybody else. When I feel the urge to do so, I do it Off-Road.

The problem with the 20mph zones (which I avoid like the plague unless I absolutley must go into one) is that a child running out between 2 parked cars into the path of a car is just as likely to be killed at that speed as they are at 30mph.

It's not about fuel consumption either, rather the MASSIVE increase in emissions the 20mph limit produces.
Much has been broadcast recently about the increase in Asthma etc. in urban areas, but the authorities who point this out are the very same ones who bring in speed restrictions and make the problem worse.

What happened to education? Remember the 'Green Cross Man'? My 5 year old Grandson won't go near a road without an adult, because that's what he has been taught.
Is it just easier to blame drivers rather than do anything to educate the kids?

Then there is the cost of installing and maintaining all the speed bumps / cameras / signs / red painted lines etc. Would it not be better spent by preventing pedestrians from stepping in front of cars to start with?
Local councils happily spend money erecting barriers around shopping precincts, but they won't spend money doing the same in residential areas.
Currently in Renegade1127's garage:
1999 Laguna 2.0 Executive. 1997 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3LE DualFuel
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome