Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Speed Limits & Pollution

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 19th September 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by Truckbusuk
You are correct, education is paramount, but it is easy to blame the kids, rather than the driver who has not slowed because he cannot see past the parked cars or ignored the large 20 MPH street signs and painted warnings in the road. He is responsible as the road user to be aware of the environment he is in and notice children playing in gardens, pavements or cycling in the road itself etc. Both will make mistakes at some point, its just the outcome from one is much more likely to be fatal.
You can educate kids as much as you like, but it takes experience for them to learn the concept of risk and danger. Kids act before they think - if their football bounces out into the road, they'll chase it and think about whether it was a good idea later.

We need the focus to be on inappropriate speed though, as opposed to pedantic enforcement of mandatory limits. 20mph makes sense on a road with parked cars and children playing in nearby gardens. The same road without the parked cars would give a driver plenty of time to brake from 30mph or more to a non-fatal speed if someone ran out into the road.

That's why the good old traffic copper still has my respect (well apart from the few little Hitlers who don't deserve to wear the uniform) but if I had the guts and was prepared to take the risk, I'd be one of those people out torching the GATSOs.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome