Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - warranty works and extended warranty

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11th November 2011
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Re: warranty works and extended warranty

I have quite a bit of experience with aftermarket warranties, and there are a few pointers I can offer;

1. Make sure you compare like with like; some warranties are Inclusive (they list all the parts they cover), the other are Exclusive (they list all the parts they don't cover).
  2. Check for consequential damage clauses; getting a new cambelt paid for, is little comfort, if the entire top-end of the engine needs to be rebuilt at your expense...
  3. Servicing requirements; many allow you to keep with the manufacturer's recommendations, but some set their own time & mileage intervals which must be adhered to.
  4. Approved repairers; Ideally, you want the local garage where the car currently is in for repair/service/mot to be able to perform the warranty repair - not someplace (possibly) far away.
  5. Labour rate limits; make sure you select a rate appropriate for what's charged in the areas you normally drive - you need to top-up any difference.
  6. Approval/authorisation; some warranties need to give authorisation before work commences, some require you to pay for the work & then claim it retrospectively - make sure you know what's expected.
  7. Claim limits; should be self-explanatory, but ensure the amount you can claim for at least covers the replacement cost of the item
  8. Age/mileage limits; again, self-explanatory, but if buying a 4 year policy, that the policy won't be redundant prematurely due to the car's age/mileage.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome