Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Help me please renault key problems

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 14th November 2011
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Help me please renault key problems

This is a very common problem and my previous Clio (55-reg) was so afflicted towards the end of my six years with it.
Basically, the keys are not very well designed and can stop communicating with the immobiliser without warning and seemingly at random. It is not usually flat fob batteries either.
For now, strike the key fob hard on the body of the car and try to start the car. I saw an AA man do that with mine and it worked. Failing that, try standing outside the car with the fob pointing at the steering column and push the button on the fob four times quite slowly. This resychronises the fob, I'm told, and the car should open and start (it will let you know that it is about to cooperate because the red lamp will go out when you turn the key instead of flashing rapidly).
If neither of the above works, I am afraid that a new key fob is the only answer. You can get them at Renault main dealers (be careful, they are very, very expensive) or I suspect that a good auto electrician will be able to sell you a non-original one for much less.
Finally, to my extreme annoyance and after shelling out 350.00 for two new key fobs, my car stranded me at a service station after I had stopped to get some milk on the way to work. As I said above, the AA man struck the key fob on the car and it started at once, indicating that Clio key fobs were one of his most popular callouts.
Good luck. You have my symapthy because I know how tedious this problem can be.
Currently in mrtotty's garage:
2011 Clio dCi 88 Expression Eco
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome