Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio DCi rough start from cold *FIXED*

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 24th November 2011 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Clio rough start from cold

Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
The 1.5 Dci doesn't have a throttle body in the conventional sense so there is little point in hunting for it.

If cold starting is becoming worse as the days get colder I would suspect either the glow-plugs or possibly the engine coolant temp sensor may be faulty.

Start by checking the resistance of the glow-plugs and then checking for how long they receive a 12 volt supply during start up.
Thanks to Ralph too ....

To be honest, I didn't even consider the glow plugs as the cause - the other post with the same problem occurred in May this year...
but I guess a cold start is a cold start!

Had an old X reg Volvo that had the radiator temp thingy playing up - I used to ''sit'' on the throttle for 5 mins til the car warmed up -
I didn't consider the coolant temp sensor as a problem in the Clio because the revs won't alter when the throttle is touched....
but then cars are all electric this and that nowadays and this is probably some kind of safety feature or something.

Will pass this on to hubby .... let's hope it's nice and sunny at the weekend - me? I'll be on tea duty
As soon as we find anything - will let you guys know.

Thanks for your replies.
Currently in BillaBongBaby's garage:
03 CLIO 80 Billabong 1.5DCi special edition in metallic Blue or is it Green?
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome