Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Anyone got a fairly new Laguna 1.5dci

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 2nd December 2011 Thread Starter
diesel lagunaman
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Anyone got a fairly new Laguna 1.5dci

Hi 137mph
I've emailed RCR today to try to clear this grille thing up. Obviously won't get a response until next week but I'm with your thinking on this.
As for you asking are these cars any good, well mine is a 1.5 Dynamique TomTom so trim level is not bad. Before this one my last three cars over the last 7 or 8 years have been Lags, two 1.9 sport dci's, W reg then X reg, then an 04 reg 2.2 dci initiale. Loved them all except the initiale turned out to be a bit of a money pit. But of course that also means I've got no direct comparison with anything else such as a Mondeo or Insignia. I think the main disappointment I've had with this 1.5 is the fuel consumption figures being nowhere close to what they publish. A two hour trip up the motorway with cruise control at 70 only gave just under 50mpg, had it checked out at the dealer but they could find no faults and seemed to think that I had no chance of getting close to the published figures unless I cut the speed to around 50-55mph! Also around town with a bit of stopping and starting I'm doing well to get 36mpg so if I compare that with the two 1.9s which gave similar returns and the 32mpg I got from the 2.2 for the same journeys it's not that good - that said I doubt if that would bother you in a company car. Obviously a 1.5 is a pretty small engine so as long as you don't floor it away from standstill it's fine, but if you do there's a fair bit of low power until the turbo kicks in which makes it not such smooth acceleration. I would say that the performance is adequate and pretty much on a par with the old 1.9s (apart from the turbo lag) and certainly fine for motorway driving too. Low road tax is a plus (not your problem once again) but personally I think I would go for a 2 litre if I was looking to buy another.
So to sum up I would say you could do a lot worse. It's a comfortable car to drive, either round town or on longer distances and of course you don't see many on the road so maybe you won't feel like a rep!
Hope that's helped but feel free to interrogate me if you need.
Currently in diesel lagunaman's garage:
2010 Laguna Dynamique TomTom 1.5 DCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome