Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - UK suspends speed camera deployment

View Single Post
post #25 of (permalink) Old 22nd September 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Gonna jump in here with an experience of mine from a while back.

Driving through my local town high street after going to the shops. I stopped at a mini roundabout, then pulled away. Road was clear, it was early evening around 7pm and was still daylight. I accelerated briskly and flicked it into 2nd, the speedo crept slightly over 30, so I lifted my foot and let it settle at 30. 50 yards down the road I spy 3 coppers, one is hiding behind a bush with a camera, one is standing b ehind him and the third steps out and flags me down.

Now I wasn't speeding, I went over 30 for a matter of a couple of seconds. It's easy to do when accelerating.

Copper that flagged me down, then proceeded to tell me I was doing 35 all the way down the road. I told him I wasn't and gave an exact explanation of why I knew this. I was polite and friendly about it. He was obviously wanting to make a point about something, having pulled me over for no real reason. So he pointed out to me that my fog lights were on (I'd put my lights on as it was around dusk). I explained that it was foggy when I went to work that morning and I had probably forgotten to turn them off, and seeing as it was still very light, I couldn't tell they were on from inside the car.

So, twice now I have tried to reason with him, politely and logically. I have stated the facts and only the facts. But he decides he wants to be a jobsworth. So starts lecturing me about my speed and how he won't give me a ticket this time for speeding and driving with foglights on.

I bit my tongue, said thanks and went to get back in my car. As I did, I turned to him and asked what equipment they were using. He replied it was an LS20 (I think) laser speed gun and asked why. So I told him I had been reading up about a thing called 'slip effect' on those types of cameras and how easy they get confused, how the laser itself isn't sighted down the same direction as the viewfinder, but is manually set... thus leading to increased chance of the laser detecting the speed from other vehciles, through poor sigting or reflective echoes.

He really didn't like that... but seeing as he had laready sent me on my way... There was feck all he could do about it. I just grinned, got in my car and accelerated up to 29mph in first gear... It makes a nice sound.

This is the reason they are hated... I'm all for speed cameras if they are used as they were intended. To reduce the risk of accidents. Instead they are used as a means of raising revenue from already over taxed motorists. They are placed in positions where they will make the most money. I've seen them at the bottoms of hills, where a main A road with a limit of 70mph, suddenly drops to 50mph for no good reason (no houses, no sharp bends, no junctions) and hey presto, hiding behind some foliage is a camera.

Just a few weeks ago, I crested a hill behind a car doing 50 in a 70 limit, I overtook safely and settled down doing about 63mph. Hidden in a laybay behind bushes on the opposite side of the road, pointing up the hill to catch motorists who's speed will naturally increase slightly when going downhill was a mobile camera van. The only reason it was there was raise money. It's not a dangerous stretch of road, this is what I have a problem with. It's big brother, I'm not speeding but I still hate it.

I also had the 2 week wait, wondering if they were going to try and have me for the overtaking move, which was perfectly legit... They didn't, but I have so little faith in the police/justice system now; that I seriously thought they would try.

A few years ago, on my way back from Peterborough. I passed a camera that had been blown up. I pulled into the nearest layby and walked back up to take some pics with my digital camera. The police at the scene subjected me to a 45 minute inquisition, wanting to know exactly why I was taking pictures, where I was at the time it happened... I was disgusted by their behaviour.

Recently a local photographer for a local newspaper was arrested by the police for taking pictures of an accident. He was stood back behind the cordon and was in no way inteferring with anything.

The problem is the police themselves, too many jobsworths who like the power and control they have and lack the ability to use it properly. We don't just need to educate drivers and changes the law... We need to employ decent coppers and train them properly.

I also know that should I get the urge to drive on the motorway in perfectly clear conditions with no other traffic around.. I do speed. I readily admit that at times I have exceeded 130mph... In a quick blast, not a sustained speed. But if I get caught, it's my fault and I cannot and will not try to shift the blame.
Currently in Heckler's garage:
1993 Renault 19 RT TD & a very modified Mazdaspeed MX6
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome