Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - UK suspends speed camera deployment

View Single Post
post #30 of (permalink) Old 22nd September 2006
chris m
Let's be carefull out there
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Send a message via MSN to chris m
OK the way I see it is...

Speed or "Safety" cameras do not work. To clarify that statement, if we assume, as the government etc state, that the aim of cameras is to enforce the speed limit and therefore increase safety then they do not work. Plain and simple. They work if the target is to raise revenue.

There are plenty of speed cameras in London. The majority of the ones I have seen are not placed in known accident blackspots, therefore do not help safety. They are placed on dual carrigways normally on downhills or in some cases on the wrong side of bends. The effect is that speeding drivers see them at the last minute and brake hard surely this is more dangerous and a better solution is to place the camera before a bend where it can be seen. As far as placing on downhills, if the road is a dual carrigway and straight with good visibility etc. how can they have any benifit except revenue. I have been travelling at 40 in a 40 zone only to have to brake to below 30 because other drivers do not know the limit and brake hard when they see a camera. Again hardly a means of ensuring safety. The road I live in has 3 schools in it and several speed bumps and a "check your speed" display, none of which stops people doing 50+ in a 30 zone. Surely this would be a better position for cameras if safety were the objective.

Surely if there were more mobile traffic cops they could stop drivers who exceeed the limits or who are just driving dangerously then show them a video replay of their driving, perhaps that would have more of an effect.

Yes speed kills, but the issue should not be cust speed it should be on observation and general awareness of the road conditions. Statistics show that more people die falling over in the house (down stairs, baths, showers etc than are killed on roads) perhaps we all need cameras in the house to prevent us harming ourselves in our haste to get ready in the morning. Or perhaps common sense needs to be exercised by both drivers and the authorities. Perhaps then the roads will become safer without the need for cameras and the like.
Currently in chris m's garage:
2000 Scenic 2.0 16v Monaco, BMW 3 Series, Pug 206
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome