Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio Tailgate Latch

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 5th December 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Clio Tailgate Latch

I have the same problem so may be able to offer some help.

My tailgate (Renaultsport Clio MkII 2002) was locked and the push button would not open it. By folding down the back seats you can climb through and with a flat screwdriver there is a spring flap that can be levered up to unlock the tailgate. Of course when you shut it it locks again.

This is what you do the tailgate and take of the plastic trim- there is just one scree to undo and then it is press studs. This reveals the mechanism. Dont mix the rear wiper up with the boot lock. Youll see the boot lock has three 10mm nuts attaching it.

As a temporary fix try the following- disconnect the battery and reconnect (make sure you know your radio code before trying this)

Try again on the key- if still no response try pushing on the end of the bit that moves in and out- there is a spring on the end of this. Push this in and out a few times. When I did this I could then open the tailgate from outside- i.e. the push button on the tailgate now opens when manually pressed (there is no key on this model)

Next I am going to remove the mechanism and look inside to see what's going on.

I'll complete this later...
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome