Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio Tailgate Latch

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 5th December 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Clio Tailgate Latch

Originally Posted by 1953bloke View Post
I have the same problem so may be able to offer some help.

My tailgate (Renaultsport Clio MkII 2002) was locked and the push button would not open it. By folding down the back seats you can climb through and with a flat screwdriver there is a spring flap that can be levered up to unlock the tailgate. Of course when you shut it it locks again.

This is what you do the tailgate and take of the plastic trim- there is just one scree to undo and then it is press studs. This reveals the mechanism. Dont mix the rear wiper up with the boot lock. Youll see the boot lock has three 10mm nuts attaching it.

As a temporary fix try the following- disconnect the battery and reconnect (make sure you know your radio code before trying this)

Try again on the key- if still no response try pushing on the end of the bit that moves in and out- there is a spring on the end of this. Push this in and out a few times. When I did this I could then open the tailgate from outside- i.e. the push button on the tailgate now opens when manually pressed (there is no key on this model)

Next I am going to remove the mechanism and look inside to see what's going on.

I'll complete this later...

There is one screw to open to see the gearing and motor but it has one of those funny screws on it like a star. Once open -clean up the junk inside. There is a black plastic snail gear that is engaged by the motor at very low gearing and this should move the locking mechanism in and out. Rick cleaned this up and lubricated with vaseline. The motor itself has a part VD 221618 Mabuchi and it works fine under no load. When reassembled and fitted it does not move the mechanism- its as if the whole thing is just jammed. You can hear the motor starting to spin- it just clicks for an instant and stops. Turning the black plastic gear by hand moves it but it seems to have a sticky spot half way down.

Just thinking...when locking the motor has to spin one way and when unlocking it has to spin back the other way- this has to be controlled by the electrics somehow- reversing the polarity?

Next trying a replacement motor- I read in the experts section here that this has to be a CCW (counter clockwise) but I've lost the reference to that posting.

Just also realised that you dont need to open the three nuts holding the lock in place to get at the motor. Just the one screw (the star shape) releases it all and you can get at the motor. Rick is going to buy a new one and we'll test that and see if it works.

Last edited by 1953bloke; 5th December 2011 at 05:58 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome