Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Help with settling a 'debated' argument

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 5th December 2011 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Question Help with settling a 'debated' argument

Right people after having my Megane for almost four years i would like to settle an on-going argument i have with my other half about the handling of my Megane. As you are the only people i know that will have the same car as i, i need to see if you experiences and opinions are the same.

I have a 1999 Renault Megane 1.6e Sport. I find that on very bumpy or wet roads that:

1. The car can either drift or fish tails after hitting a drain cover or a bump in the road.
2. Going round corners or roundabouts in the wet (and not very fast) on occasions i will have a nice view of the rear end of my car.
3. Forget driving in the snow as the back end has a mind of it's own, no matter what speed or how little air (after letting them down a bit) you have in your tyres.

Let me point out at this point i have never had an accident as i have always been able to regain control of the car once it starts misbehaving.

My theory as to why it does this is the back end is very light? I have always found that when i have something heavy on the boot i have no handling problems at all i just end up using more fuel instead!!

Has and does anyone else have the same experience with there Megane? I often describe mine as being like a horse with the gate left open - most days it behaves itself and on the odd day it likes to rear up and bolt for the gate!!

This debate finally come to ahead tonight when i was trying to explain to my other half that driving down 'back roads' every day for my daily commute to work is not safe as i would be driving at grannie speed all the way for the fear of ending up in a hedge due to potholes and dodgy road surfaces. At this point i was laughed at and was told that there must be something wrong with my car (or my driving which i think was the point he was trying to make) as he can't believe that any other Megane drivers has the same problem!!!

Answers and thoughts would be greatly appreciated!?
Currently in vickyc's garage:
1999 Renault Megane 1.6e Sport
  5 Lastest Threads by vickyc
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Help with settling a 'debated' argument Cars & motoring Prickleypear 2 712 5th December 2011 10:45 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome