Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Laguna 2 - engine - Diesel emissions failure

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 22nd September 2006
Banned User
Curveball Champion
Nominated 9 Times in 16 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 10
Thanked 3,511 Times in 2,879 Posts
I pinched this below the blue line from here

BTW I've never seen the sparks that this guy mentions just loads of black smoke, s'funny when I first tested my current car with around 10K on the clock after getting the engine up to temperature I parked and revved the a$$e end of it with not a trace of smoke, I've now do a further 10K it does smoke now, it must be my driving style.
Happened upon a long steep hill tonight on my way home (about 2 miles long) so I decided to floor the MB and let fly whatever was going. After the downshift I got lots of smoke initially and then a little less after maybe half a mile. It charged up the hill like a champ to about 70mph and then upshifted... still accelerating.

At the top of the hill I let off it and just cruised along and then noticed sparks coming from the back end (looked kinda like what John Glenn saw in The Right Stuff).

I'm guessing this was hot flecks of carbon coming either from inside the engine or the exhaust system (turbo included). Eventually the sparks went away and it seemed to smoke a little less than normal the rest of the way home.
Currently in hondo's garage:
1.6 Valve-Matic SR. Red hot, toasty feet.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome