Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - About to buy a Clio Dci... advice please!

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10th December 2011
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: About to buy a Clio Dci... advice please!

I've had my 2003 DCi Clio 80 for 3 yrs now - and I love it to bits, and it's my first diesel.
I've always had bigger litre petrol cars and was worried it would be slow in comparison.... it wasn't!
It's nippy, good looking and can hold it's own against the other super minis out there.
We looked at several before buying this one (it had 52,000 on the clock then - 64,000 now)
It had a FSH... which we've kept up (not through Renault though).
We gave it a good test drive - motorway & B-roads.
It should start first time from cold - shouldn't smoke, and should be fairly quiet.
They're very economical on fuel and only 20 a year road tax.

Mine does have the usual rattling sunroof - you get used to it.
My sunroof has leaked twice, both times with sycamore seeds stuck inside the rubber (don't open it under trees lol)

One thing the diesels do suffer from as they get older (as I am finding out at the moment) is TDC sensor problems (clean it) and a gunked up (with carbon) EGR valve (also clean it).
Things we'd never have known but for this forum (Hoorah RF!)

I found the accelerator pedal hard compared to my previous Vectra - and it took some time to get used to.
The brake pedal hardish - better than spongy!
The clutch - medium resistance.

All in all I don't regret buying my Clio - and will most likely buy another.
I think you'll know the right one when you get in and drive it - but test at least 2 - as you're doing.
Currently in BillaBongBaby's garage:
03 CLIO 80 Billabong 1.5DCi special edition in metallic Blue or is it Green?
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome