View Single Post
post #166 of (permalink) Old 10th December 2011
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,852 Posts
Re: Paint Codes

Hello Alan, thanks for the picture.

Hmm, nasty scrape that, as a lot of the dents are occuring where there is no access behind the panels (as they are double-skinned).

You really have 2 options, depending on what your expectations are & how confident you feel in achieveing that result.

The first method really is flatting off the scrapes in the paint surface, and painting over it (leaving the dents present in the panels). The second is grasping the bull by the horns; by filling & sanding the panels - then spraying - much more involved.

At this time of the year, I could only recommend spraying in a garage - outdoors is just too unpredictable to get any satisfactory result.

The first step is to give the entire area a damn good compounding and polish - try to restore as much as you can, as this also reduces the area needing painted.

I am enclosing a few pics of jobs I have done, one required filling/smoothing & painting, and the other one was limited to light sanding & painting without tackling the dent (customer wanted to only pay the lesser amount just to tidy it up).

The option whereby filler is used will probably take a diy'er a full weekend from start to finish, whereas the 'cover-up' method could be done in half a day - have a think, and get back to me - I can advise further, in more detail.

EDIT: I cannot seem to upload the pictures I wanted to (may be my internet connection), so will try again later.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome