Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - About to buy a Clio Dci... advice please!

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12th December 2011
HUD Engineer
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: About to buy a Clio Dci... advice please!

We have had a 2005 Clio dCi 80 3 dr Dynamique from new, and it now has 96,000 (mostly motorway) miles on it. I hung on to it when Caroline got a new model last year, and whenever she drives the old one, she comments about the heavy clutch pedal, but to me it does not seem unusual, so I think it is just a matter of getting used to it. According to the Haynes manual, they are all cable clutches from 2001 onwards.

If you can find a car that has been used by a non-smoking commuter, it should be very good news. I would say Don't be put off by high mileages, provided it has been serviced properly by someone who cares.
The Dynamique is more smartly trimmed, and has very good seats, and as someone else commented, the 80bhp is fun while the 65 is a bit steady.

Reliabilitywise, the sunroof did rattle a bit, but Renault in Cheltenham did fix it, and it has remained good for the 50,000 miles since. Rear wheel bearings were replaced sooner than I might have expected at 70,000 miles, otherwise, nothing other than routine servicing (every 18,000 miles or 2 years, including timing belt and tensioner at 72,000), tyres, wipers and bulbs until the brake discs and pads were changed at 90,000 miles. The alternator fried after 90,000 miles, but that is the only time it left us stranded. The Aircon stopped working until I cleaned up an electrical connection on the pressure sensor, but that isn't life or death.

All in all very good, and as noted above, 20 for a years road tax is the icing on a nice motoring cake.

Currently in HUD Engineer's garage:
2005 Clio Dynamique 3dr
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome