Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - About to buy a Clio Dci... advice please!

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 13th December 2011
HUD Engineer
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: About to buy a Clio Dci... advice please!

You are right that the torque is delivered very nicely. What happens much above 3200 rpm is largely unexplored by myself: only my MOT tester visits the rev limit, and, happily, at 90,000+ miles, it still does a "Fast Pass" on the smoke test, which might be just another snippet of good news if an owner has kept that info.
Starting only ever seems to require a couple of seconds on the glow plugs before the light extinguishes. I cannot recall it being much longer even when the temperature was well below zero, so, in my limited experience, that sounds in order.
The tappets are hydraulic and I've not read of any problems with them myself. In the Dynamique, once the engine is warmed up, and trundling along at 40mph and above, you are hard pushed to tell from the noise whether there is a petrol or diesel burner pulling you along. I love it, it has been a very satisfying car to drive and to own, so far, and I know of others that have done double the miles, so I'm expecting to hold on to mine for a bit.

Remapping is possible, and several people that I met on the cliodci forum (which seems to be out of service at the moment) had done this as quite an easy and affordable upgrade, but I am happy with the car just the way it is. When not driven with my hair on fire, I've been averaging around 68mpg in the summer, and this falls a little bit in the winter. Pesonally I find it hard work to get worse than 60mpg, but I don't do much city driving, nor do I do much driving with a heavy right foot.

Currently in HUD Engineer's garage:
2005 Clio Dynamique 3dr

Last edited by HUD Engineer; 13th December 2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Mention remap
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome