Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - About to buy a Clio Dci... advice please!

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 16th December 2011
Inveterate Bodger
Nominated 0 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: About to buy a Clio Dci... advice please!

Nice one HUD, thanks

I didn't get to read your reply in time, as it happens, but basically that and everything else seemed in order. No telltale "i'm ****ged out" whistle from the turbo , no grey or blue smoke at ALL (!) once warm and only a little whiteish grey on starting. Also I was able to tell that the engine was genuinely cold on startup (hand on the cylinder head a couple minutes later, still plenty cool to the touch), with a half-dead battery, but it still caught after 4-5 seconds of mournful cranking and ran fine afterwards.

I'm afraid I might be more of a one to test the rev limiter, as I do occasionally come close to it in my slightly faster Megane, but time will tell if the improved low/mid-range thrust compensates for that or if I do end up wanting more power! As far as anyone's said, a remap only tends to improve economy unless you're really hammering the car, and even I only break out the essex boy impressions as a small percent of my overall mileage.
(Current not-far-off-official-combined-cycle economy is proof of that - when I *actually* kick hell out of the engine for an extended period the MPG drops like a stone)

It's still going to be a couple seconds quicker than the Astra I had a few years back, and it's about the same performance as a Micra I borrowed for a while earlier in the year which seemed just about spot-on, so it *should* be enough...
Currently in tahrey's garage:
Honda CG125, Scott Voltage MX5, dirt, lots of random bottles and tools, porktastic Clio III DCi, dodgy shelves...
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome