Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - VOSA Matters Of Testing 06/11

View Single Post
post #34 of (permalink) Old 20th December 2011 Thread Starter
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Re: VOSA Matters Of Testing 06/11

Getting every manufacturer to agree to using fully generic systems is never going to happen,EOBD was a nice idea but was doomed to failure from the start.No manufacturer is going to allow full access to it's systems via a port primarily designed so that the aftermarket can read codes and data,they want to protect their own dealer networks and line their own pockets (which is infuriating but primarily what they are in business to do).

As for the MOT being weak,no annual test is fool proof and it does rely on the individual tester and their ability to do their job properly,but I would say on the whole the systems in place work.The computerised system has certaintly helped VOSA police the system correctly and although it was a nightmare when it first came out gradually the problems have been ironed out and it is one of the best things that has happened in MOT'ing for a long time.The new rules for 2012 are yet to be tried and tested and there are bound to be a few teething problems,but on the whole I think that it is moving in the right direction.I'm just glad I'm not a tester any more,trying to explain to people that their car has failed on an EML fault and it's going to cost them X amount of pounds to fix it even though the engine is running fine and the light has been on for the last number of years is going to be a nightmare.

It's a shame that just as VOSA begin the process to update the test to cope with all the new systems fitted to cars these days that the ridiculous idea of tesing cars every 2 years still won't go away.That will have a bigger effect on road safety than any of the other changes that have occured during the life of the MOT test.I really do shudder at the thought of some cars being on our roads that won't get looked at from one year to the next.
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome