Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - VOSA Matters Of Testing 06/11

View Single Post
post #39 of (permalink) Old 20th December 2011
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Send a message via MSN to Azurael
Re: VOSA Matters Of Testing 06/11

Originally Posted by Lagdti View Post
Scrapping in favour of what?.The MOT is flawed but it's much better than having cars on the road which haven't been looked at for years surely?.

If they test the warning lights in the same way as they do for the ABS systems then removing the bulb still ends in a failure.The light has to illuminate and go out as it is intended to by the manufacturer,if it doesn't come on when it's supposed to (i.e initial start up/ignition on etc) then it's a failure.
A lot of this depends on the expertise of the tester in some cases though - neither of my Lag 1s had ABS, but they both had an ABS light on the instrument cluster. How would the tester know if the car was so equipped? I mean all cars have ABS nowadays, but even on more modern examples, how about ESP/Traction Control? My Lag 2, for example, could potentially be equipped with it (it's not) as an option, how would you know that it did if the light had been disabled?

Some cars make this obvious - I guess any Renault with the dash display would have to have the display severed, the SERV or STOP light and the appropriate fault indicator as well, along with the voice computer if it's got one, which would be very obvious and probably more trouble than just fixing the broken item

All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire
Currently in Azurael's garage:
TEB64 (Cosmic Grey) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v Privilege Tourer (KG0B F4P-770)/TED44 (Odyssey Blue) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v 'Expressionale' Hatch (BG0B F4P-770)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome