Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - VOSA Matters Of Testing 06/11

View Single Post
post #41 of (permalink) Old 20th December 2011
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Send a message via MSN to Azurael
Re: VOSA Matters Of Testing 06/11

Not if the ABS isn't working...? I mean, it'd be obvious if you were looking at the ABS unit, but that's buried away in a lot of cars and as I said ABS is a less relevant example as we're probably starting to get to a point where the majority of vehicles on the road have ABS now.

I just can't believe that they get it right anything even vaguely approaching 100% of the time without an encyclopaedic knowledge of different models and specs.

Personally, I think all cars should be tested against a common baseline with far less specifics. To me, the mechanical soundness of the engine, suspension, brakes and compulsory restraints are far more important than 'gimmicks' like traction control. For example: It's totally unfair that cars with aftermarket HID systems will pass the MOT under the new regs where a car that's factory fitted will not because of an issue with auto-levelling or washers, where both might meet the requirements for beam imaging. The beam imaging itself should be the only important question without all the stupid smallprint. But I would extend that to things like emissions; to give an example, my carburated, non-cat 205 1.1 passed the MOT emissions test just as cleanly as any car I've had since, yet it was ALLOWED to emit far more by its year of production. Plus; emissions testing for petrols and only visible smog testing for diesels?! What's that all about. It's incredibly inconsistent from one issue to the next and all seems like dreadfully unfair discrimination given how expensive it's getting to keep all the overly complicated systems in new cars working, I wonder how much input the commercial industry that stands to gain from constant repairs has to the process, and how much of it is purely based on safety concerns...

All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire
Currently in Azurael's garage:
TEB64 (Cosmic Grey) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v Privilege Tourer (KG0B F4P-770)/TED44 (Odyssey Blue) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v 'Expressionale' Hatch (BG0B F4P-770)

Last edited by Azurael; 20th December 2011 at 10:48 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome