Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - VOSA Matters Of Testing 06/11

View Single Post
post #45 of (permalink) Old 21st December 2011
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Send a message via MSN to Azurael
Re: VOSA Matters Of Testing 06/11

Originally Posted by leehanslip View Post
If that was me I'd have got that fixed ASAP.

I can see a clear distinction between an Airbag Light and a Tyre Pressure light. EVERY car driver should have the knowledge to be able to check if their tyres are inflated, whether that's with a gauge or by a simple visual. Where as an Airbag, being something you'd rely on in an accident, isn't something EVERY car driver can check conclude is safe.

I think that is a good explanation between the difference of why an Airbag Light On should fail and MOT, and a Tyre Pressure light shouldn't be taken into account.
Apparently, airbags are supposed to be replaced every 10 years - obviously that would be unviable for cars like my 10 year old Lag 2, it's got so many airbags that new ones would cost many times what the car's worth. I'm not really sure if this advice from the manufacturers is cautionary, or whether the explosives do really degrade to the point where they wouldn't fire or inflate properly. If the latter is the case, then surely testing for a fault light is pretty irrelevant anyway? Plus, if it's legal for me to drive a car without airbags, why shouldn't I be able to make that choice on a car that came equipped with them?

Personally, I feel safer with them, but I know a few people who've disable or removed theirs as they've had friends seriously, even fatally in some cases injured by airbags going off in minor accidents where they would probably have been fine (or at least less seriously injured) otherwise...

All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire
Currently in Azurael's garage:
TEB64 (Cosmic Grey) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v Privilege Tourer (KG0B F4P-770)/TED44 (Odyssey Blue) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v 'Expressionale' Hatch (BG0B F4P-770)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome