Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 1 - General Advice On Interior Water Ingress

View Single Post
post #95 of (permalink) Old 23rd December 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Scenic 1 - General Advice On Interior Water Ingress

Having just been though this process myself, a few points:

1) Clear the sills by all means, but be aware the problems may stem more from the channel beneath the windscreen not draining into the sills properly, thereby flowing through the heater air inlet (as with my problem). You might not see much blockage when you go through GamithUK's instructions (very clear by the way - thanks) on a dry day. But it won't take much debris and water flow of the rubber flap drain holes either side.

2) I removed the rubber flaps and threw them away. No problems since. Do the French do irony? Why design something so easily defeated in order to protect against something (the sills blocking up) so easy to fix and maintain.

3) I also pulled up the passenger footwell carpet and removed some of the floor insulation to dry it out. I cut through the latter to get it out with minimal need to remove trim and other components - a straight forward horizontal cut across the footwell about four inches beneath glovebox level, and around to central column. A bit of duct tape helped keep it secured in place once refitted. Once out, I parked for a while so that section was the lowest, to allow other water pools to drain into it before Mr Dyson came to the rescue.

4) Be aware that water may well remain in the rear floor insulation for some time if left to dry naturally. This can refill the front footwell area, particularly if you park facing downhill. Continued misting and possibly wet rear seats (which I think is condensation rather than rising water) are giveaways, even if the carpets don't feel wet.

5) Also be aware that the ingress of water might affect parts in the area - particularly the heater blower resistor pack and motor (which I'm currently trying to deal with).

All for the sake of two useless rubber discs ...
Currently in Odysseus's garage:
1999 1.6 Scenic I RTE (LHD)
The Following User Says Thank You to Odysseus For This Useful Post:
Andrel (12th July 2016)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome