Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #1062 of (permalink) Old 6th January 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

The same thing happened to me on 28/12/11 12am a52 dark road on my own. I must have to say one of the most terrifying thing thats ever happened to me. I contacted renault uk who went out to assess the vehicle on 4/1/12 (in their eyes) to see what the cause was. They previously advised me about maintaining the bonnet catch when i called to report the incident as this could cause the catch to corrode causing bonnet to fly up. I had a call back on 5/1/12 and had the script of it is not a known fault and renault are not reliable for the maintanence of the bonnet catch, bla bla bla!! my car is a 2002 plate and i took it to a renault garage in 2008 after receiving a letter (2nd owner from oct 2007)which funnily they do not have on their records. They only knew i had it done because of a tag on the catch to show it has been done. They told me i have either not shut my bonnet properly which i would know about driving between 40 - 70mph during an hour long journey or i havent had the catch maintained, did do serivice in Jan 2011 and MOT May 2011. They said the expertise manager found that both catches were seized open which caused the bonnet to fly open. Surely this would not happen 40mins into my journey but straight away if both catches are seized open. My insurance company have passed my claim onto their complex recovery department where they send out their own assessor and pass to solicitors and fight my corner basically but this process is taking longer than renault proving the they are not at fault speech. I want to know if anyone has any advice and if there are any success stories for older cars such as mine.
How was i meant to know i had to maintain my bonnet catch or make sure it was as there is nothing in the manual and i have had no additional pages. He said you are not meant to know as not meant to do it yourself it is down to the garage. I am never buying a renault again and have advised others as this is very dangerous and the customer service is awful! when mentioning a pay out as a gogw which a customer recieved in 2006 which was on a vehicle 3 yrs old which had been serviced regulary at a renault garage yet it still happened proves it cannot be down to maintenance yet apparently it is, but not that i should do myself. Fingers crossed my insurance gets somwhere else i will have to pay my excess, lose 2yrs ncb and pay 60% of my insurance anual premium as only been with them for 3months as wont have a car to drive after if a right off so wont require insurance. This is a nightmare and i do not know what else to do!
Currently in Halessa's garage:
Renault Clio Dynamic 2002
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome