Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - VOSA Matters Of Testing 06/11

View Single Post
post #52 of (permalink) Old 16th January 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Exclamation Re: new offical mot laws

I think some of this is a total crock, but others may have a positive effect. I'm only interested in making the roads safer for everyone, so here's my 2 cents...

1. Warning Lights. I've seen warning lights stay on after a battery change. It doesn't always mean the system does not function properly. I think it should be up to VOSA to prove the warning light means the system is broken.

2. Wiring. Makes perfect sense to me. But how far will they go with checks? Surely you can't expect MOT stations to check every wire along it's whole length... can you?

3. Battery Security. Again makes total sense. Can't think of an excuse why your battery should be rolling about in the engine bay. To be honest, I though they already checked this!

4. Headlights. Yes, yes, and thrice yes! I understand some old cars have rubbish OE lights, but it shouldn't mean you can put anything you like in there. There's the 'undue dazzle' law already in place. Even some new cars with OE spec xenons are a total pest. HID kits should be banned, or at least restricted to professional fitting only. Anyone who needs 'pure daylight' being produced out the front of their car shouldn't be on the roads at night. Your convenience should not be at the expense of everyone elseís inconvenience.

5. ECU mods. Unless they make a car dangerous to drive, and so long as your insurance company has approved the mod, I don't see what the problem is. Although, it should be law that any car being sold-on with an ECU mod is either factory reset, or at least make the mod known to potential buyers.

I have an issue with the frequency of MOTs I think could be looked at more sensibly. First 3 years thereís no MOT required. How about then reducing this to 2 years, then down to every year for older cars? For example, MOT due at the end of years 3, 5, 7, 9, then annually after that.

Back on the subject of lights, another suggestion Iíd make for general driving is putting (at least) you side-lights on at all times when using the roads. Iím especially fed up with driving about in winter-sun conditions where oncoming traffic can often appear to be stationary in some conditions. If you run with side-lights on, you give every other road user that extra chance to react to your presence. I canít see a downside to this suggestion, so it should be considered as mandatory (as it is in some other countries... so Iím led to believe). The fact of the matter is simple; we do not need the law or VOSA, or car manufacturers to intervene, as everyone can make a difference today simply by switching on your lights the same way you buckle-up each time you get in the car.

Crusade over, but Iíd like to see some feedback if anyone has any other sensible solutions.
Currently in Mikeinho's garage:
'02 Clio 1.5 DCi (65), '02 Clio Authentique 1.2 8v
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome