Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - VOSA Matters Of Testing 06/11

View Single Post
post #61 of (permalink) Old 16th January 2012
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,201 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: new offical mot laws

In many ways the UK Mot standards fall well below that of some other EU countries but as long as MOT is private and controlled by VOSA I doubt things will improve.

The Clio bonnet failures have shown that VOSA is toothless and not open to public scrutiny and is supported by its poor judgement by its parent department of transport. I appreciate that not all MOT testers work to poor standards but surely such an important aspect of government should be open to scrutiny and accountability. One example of VOSA's poor standards was when they were asked to provide statistics for testing standards and pass rates. They first resisted then eventually produced figures which were difficult to understand. The testing stations for both the Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland publish such figures on a monthly basis open to anyone in the woprkld to view.

On the other hand vehicle testing cannot remain as it once was as road vehicles have changed a lot over the past 5 years or so.

In my experience there has always been a lot of moaning each time something new was introduced into the test. Sadly I'm old enough to remember the checking of windscreen washers and headlight alignment being introduced but after a year or so no one complained.

I have always taken the view that an MOT does no more than ensure we maintain or vehicles as we ought to.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome