Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Fuel Consumption problem?

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 17th January 2012
Platinum member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 3 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Re: Fuel Consumption problem?

I totally sympathise with your situation and if I were in your shoes I would be going mental.

Have you considered reporting the incident to VOSA, you may not get anywhere with them but it may be worth a phone call.

As I said you should never rely on the handbrake alone, leaving the car in gear (or P if an automatic) should be 2nd nature.

Normally a handbrake cable will fail just as you are applying the brake, but it can just as easily snap whilst the brake is applied and the car unattended.

I've only ever seen 2 cars roll away due to the cable snapping while they were left parked. However a quick Google throws up a lot of reports of cars with electronic handbrakes rolling away when the cable has not snapped. This makes me wonder if the system is actually fit for purpose, personally I would say not, but you would have a hell of a fight on your hands trying to prove it.

Other than repeat business for the dealerships I can see no reason at all as to why a car needs to be fitted with an electronic handbrake, what advantage does it actually have because all I seem to be reading about them is fault after fault.

This 50% good will payment seems to be offered by Renault on a regular basis when things go wrong, so often it makes me suspicious, some may say it shows they care and are a decent company, you could however argue that it also shows they know there's a problem with the item and it's a way to brush it under the carpet so to speak!

Please take the time to enter your vehicle details in the "What's current in your garage?" box.

To do this:
Hover over the "TOOLS" tab at the top of the page
> then in the dropdown click on "User Dashboard"
> click on "Edit Your Details" at the top Left hand side.
> scroll down to the "What's current in your garage?" box and enter your vehicle details.
> Once the details are entered scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Save Changes"

> Done.
Currently in TTT's garage:
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Dynamique Sport Tourer
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome