Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 3 Door Clio - Reseal rear passenger window glass

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 20th January 2012
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Re: 3 Door Clio - Reseal rear passenger window glass

If the glass has cracked, it would travel very quickly, as the body & chassis flexes.

I'm inclined to think that there is a part around the metal frame which is corroding. It may just be a large bubble and is pushing the seal away (allowing water in), or it may actually be a hole.

The difficulty is, that there is no way of knowing definitively what the cause is - therefore a cost? I wouldn't like to guess.

My suggested method isn't difficult, but it is a 2 person job, one person pulling the rubber seal away from the bodywork (using a wooden lolly stick, or something similar), and you running a bead of silicone along that gap, mastic gun in hand.

The beauty of this method is that it prevents the water getting to where the gap occurs, and saves a bill of a few hundred pounds & being without your car for a few days.

It might be perceived as a temporary fix, but if done well - it should last at least 3 years.

Naturally, this should be done on a dry day.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome