Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault scenic silver/grey bumper moulding

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 20th January 2012
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,852 Posts
Re: Renault scenic silver/grey bumper moulding

Thanks Pat, appreciated.

If that's the case with your car, you will need to lightly sand the scuff as smooth as possible, and feather it in to the existing painted trim.

Then, using a light scotchpad, key the surface of the entire trim panel.

If it cannot be easily removed, just mask off around it, and lightly spray a few coats of plastic primer (grey would probably be the correct one for your car), and once fully-dry, apply a few light-medium coats of this on=Manual|!&_sop=3&LH_Price=..1%2C000%40c&_dmpt=Au tomobiles_UK&_odkw=a+class&_osacat=9801&_trksid=p3 286.c0.m270.l1313 again, allow to fully dry, then a couple of light dustings with some clear lacquer (this time using a heatgun or hairdrier to fuse the finish), apply the coats until you get a finish which matches the rest of the car, bearing in mind that more lacquer will move the finish from Matt to Satin to Gloss.

If you can work in a garage, all the better, as the area must be kept dry whilst the paint is wet. Also, take your time, as a well-executed job will be a source of pride, whereas a rushed job will be a constant reminder for you to kick yourself.

If this sounds daunting, it may be worthwhile getting a few quotes from local smart repairers, just for comparison. You could probably do it yourself for circa 30.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome