Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Got a mk1 clio just over a week ago, need a bit of advice about a few problems.

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 22nd January 2012 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Unhappy Got a mk1 clio just over a week ago, need a bit of advice about a few problems.

Hi folks!

I picked up a mk1 1.2 a little over a week ago, it has got test till july and appeared to be a bargain buy, it used to be a run around, not really done any long drives. she's done nearly 87 thou from new.

when I opened the bonnet, the oil and water was low so i topped them both up and for a few days she drove fine but having spent some time in her there are a few mechanical problems that I'm getting worried about.

firstly, when driving the offside front squeaks, sometimes when turning, sometimes when driving straight, accelerate, brake etc it's intermittent, could it be a bearing thats gone/going?

secondly, theres a cover on the underside of the car that is ment to cover some pipes that is snapped and is hanging off, are those fuel lines?

next, when going over speed bumps or driving up a kerb, theres a scraping noise from the left rear, the exhaust is fairly new and the mounts seem good, but with no jack I can't really see underneath too well, any ideas?

next, the front right brake caliper has a small metal peices that has wiggled its way out and has signs of rubbing on the steel rim of the wheel, I pushed it back in as best I could, will I need to replace the caliper? I'm gonna get some new discs and pads anyway so it might make sense to fix that while I'm at it

next, when on a slight gradient, I can be in neutral with no brakes on and the car won't roll, as if the brakes are stuck

and now for the big one!

I took her for a drive to see family just yesterday, 70 miles into the journey, I was in 5th just cruising along and the engine started to splutter a bit for a few minutes then regained composure, a few minutes later I slowed and changed to third, then started to speed up again, but the car didnt respond, and spluttered with a few back fires, similiar to stalling the car, the harder I pressed the accelerator, the worse it was. I pulled over and tried to start her up (she usually starts first time) and it took 3 attempts, when she did start she backfired and ran really lumpy, I pressed the gas and she spluttered and cut out again. I left her for five minutes and started her up again, and she was fine and I managed to be on my way.

My initial thought was the spark plugs being wet and not igniting the fuel, I know she runs a bit rich and maybe after such a long drive the pistons were sogged in fuel or something and the plugs maybe coked up from excess fuel?

when I got back I checked the connections and wiring and everything seemed fine, but I havent removed the plugs yet. one thing I did realise is that she has drunk a lot of water, she was full before the journey and nearly empty afterwards, which leads me to think of maybe a gasket issue, but there is no sign of congealing in the oil and no obvious leaks elsewhere?

thanks for taking the time to read this post and thankyou for any advice you may have.
Currently in R10tz0r's garage:
96' Mk1 Clio 1.2
  5 Lastest Threads by R10tz0r
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Got a mk1 clio just over a week ago, need a bit... Cars & motoring Tude 5976 12 2247 22nd January 2012 09:18 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome