Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 1 - General Advice On Interior Water Ingress

View Single Post
post #98 of (permalink) Old 27th January 2012
wyn burgess
Diamond member
Nominated 7 Times in 6 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Re: Renault Scenic 1 - General Advice On Interior Water Ingress

I have had a 2000 Scenic for the last 8 years and had been plagued with water ingress through the sunroofs front and rear since purchase. Water collected in the spare wheel housing and on the passenger front footwell. After weeks of investigation I removed the roof lining, you can see the stains in the corners where water comes in, mainly on the nearside because the car is parked leaning over that way.

I checked the drain tubes and they were fine though the rear were a bit kinked over a clip in front of the lights. I lived with drips coming in on top of me through the square holes adjacent to the mounting bolts while I tried in vain to discover how water was entering, I even removed the sunroof assembly and could see potential entry points but nothing I could confirm as a defect.

Eventually using a small mirror I could see how the water entered, see my sketch for the answer. The roof adjacent to the corners of the sunroofs has shallower downstands than the straight seams next to the corners and this together with the fact that water on the sunroofs always migrates to one of the corners. I had read about capillary attraction but never experienced it directly, the amazing thing is that with the drain tube removed about 60% of the water comes in through the hole adjacent to the bolt and about 40% down the drain tube, total about a cup full from the lowest corner of the sunroofs after a night of heavy rain, so I think that blaming blocked drain tubes are a bit of a side show as even if partially blocked the tubes would still drain the limited amount of water.

And the cure? Two tubes of gel type Superglue applied to the underside of the roof adjacent to the corners of the sunroofs (total 8) to seal the exposed seams. It was a relief to find no fault with the sunroofs as they are the best part of a grand from Renault and you have to fit it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4124.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	15108   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4125.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	15109  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scenic sunroof section.pdf (820.6 KB, 74 views)
Currently in wyn burgess's garage:
2009 Clio 1.2 ST, 807 2.2, 1971 Triumph T25 T/B
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wyn burgess For This Useful Post:
brego (14th February 2013), IT66 (27th January 2012)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome