Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane Roof Aerial Removal / Refit to Fix Leak

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 28th January 2012 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Angry Megane Roof Aerial Removal / Refit to Fix Leak

Hello, my 2003 Megane as developed a leak. The boot mat was really wet and upon investigation the sat nav / radio roof aerial was really loose and the rubber base was perished around the edge. Due to the cold winter weather I carefully placed some duct tape around the base to prevent the water ingress, after drying out the mats etc. This lasted a week or two but did not fully stop the leak.

Today was dry so decided to replace tape with new as temporary measure. Removal of the duct tape was a diaster as it removed the clear lacquer finish from around the aerial mount. Damage done I thought could I remove the aerial completely untill I could get the paint repaired and seal the mounting hole until weather got better. (NEVER USE DUCT TAPE ON YOUR BODYWORK PAINT:loser I removed the rubber tailgate seal and the two plastic clips that support the headliner. The aerial base is not accesable from inside the vehicle so with a tight squeeze I managed to insert my hand and feel the base of the aerial mount between the headliner and roof under side. It was really wet behind there confirming source of leak . The price of the complete aerial is circa 120 + VAT and typically the rubber base seal of the mount is not available as a spare part. The dealer recommeded that the aerial be removed and refitted with clear silicone sealent to make it fully water tight and fixing retightened. The gps and radio work perfectly so replacing antennae not worth it.

Dropping the headliner in not an option as the aerial based can be accesed by inserting hand carefully between headliner and roof, although little fiddley. The problem I have is what type and size of tool do I need to remove the aerial base from the roof ? I can feel the base and the recess where fixing is but have no idea what tool I need Hex, Torx etc. Can any one help ? or even have pic of base so I can use the right tool to remove aerial, fix paint and refit, seal and tighten.

Sorry for lenghty description but this must be a common issue with this type of antennae in a 9 year old car.
thehin the
Currently in just12310's garage:
2003 Megane 1.9dci Privilege

Last edited by just12310; 28th January 2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: font too large
  5 Lastest Threads by just12310
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Megane Roof Aerial Removal / Refit to Fix Leak Bodywork just12310 2 4191 28th January 2012 09:39 PM
Sat Nav Display fault Electronics just12310 2 907 25th September 2008 08:02 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome