Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Hunt for Espace MkIV

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 29th January 2012
d'espace between my ears
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Re: Hunt for Espace MkIV

In your shoes I would probably look at a petrol engine too, just be aware that you are not going to be rushing anywhere. The turbo is a bit quicker but at the cost of economy. Ideally I would try and find a post 2006 2.0 dci 150, but it depends if means stretch to that. I would not even consider the 1.9, 2.2 or 3.0 dci's pre 2006.

I have had no problems with my auto box, it's an Asin Warner unit and they have a good reputation. In fact my mechanic says he sees more problems on renault manual boxes than autos, but any problem on an auto is much more expensive to fix.

In terms of what to look at here's my list. I'm sure it's not complete and perhaps others may want to add to it, especially in regards to the petrol engines which are not my speciality.

I'll work front to back of the car.

HEADLAMP WASHERS, if fiited, a very common failure. So bad in fact that Renault supply a service kit to fix them, it will cost about 35 but is quite a fiddly job. A shocking indictment of Renault customer service that all cars were not recalled and fitted with the service kit.

HEADLAMP LEVELLERS, if fitted another very common failure. Check they are working by switching the dipped beams on, then insert the keycard and start the car. They should drop to the road and reset to level. Whilst driving with the dipped beam on brake moderately hard and ensure that they don't drop to the floor indicating sensor failure. Ditto the customer service issue.

Engine bay. Common faults occur on alternators, water pumps, on turbo models splits and cracks in the induction pipework are very common, as are splits in the intercooler and cracked inlet manifolds.

Wiring looms are prone to broken wires, especially around and underneath the battery.

Various of the engine sensors cause occasional problems, especially the Manifold Absolute Pressue (MAP), Mass Airflow Meter ( MAF ), crank sensor and oxygen or lambda sensors. Egr valves where fitted are another common problem, either from motor failure or from coking and sticking open.

The UCH or body control computer controls many of the vehicles electronic functions and are prone to failure. Check all the electrical functions singally, such as electric windows, lights and indicators, electric sunroof - then try them all at once. Most common failures are left turn indicator intermittant failure and panoramic sunroof failure.

Talking about panoramic sunroofs they are great, but prone to leak caused by failure to lubricate the rubber seals. Check for any signs of water ingress, staining of the headlining around the edges etc. Remember if you do buy one with the pano roof to lubricate the seals every six months with a suitable seal lubricant ....

Currently in d'espace between my ears's garage:
Nothing French!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d'espace between my ears For This Useful Post:
Ben Detoy (17th June 2013), Espace Addict (30th January 2012)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome